Wednesday, July 20, 2005

"Captain, I canna' change the laws of PHYSICS!"

Jimmy Doohan , Mr Scott to the TREK world, died today. Gonna miss him: I'm an avid TREKKER and Scotty was always one of my favorites. I especially loved the way he used to call Shatner out for being such a prick (even though I DO love Bill Shatner!) It was refreshing to see a guy NOT beat around the bush, in typical Hollywood fashion...
A few things about him...he was CANADIAN, believe it or not. Served with the Canadian military, and landed on Juno Beach during D-day, where he was machine gunned, and took SIX slugs (four in the leg, two in the chest- one that would've hit his heart were it not for, swear to God, a SILVER CIGARRETTE CASE!) When he got out of the service, he won a two-year scholarship to New York's famed Neighborhood Playhouse, where his fellow students included Leslie Nielsen, Tony Randall and Richard Boone, among others. Not bad company. He was a master of dialect, and we he got cast in TREK, went through about seven different accents before he decided to go with the obvious, and make Scotty and Scotsman... We'll miss you, Mr Scott. One to beam up....

btw- no one ever said BEAM ME UP SCOTTY on any of the trek shows or films. It's kinda like the "PLAY IT AGAIN SAM" thing w/ Bogey...
SO, keep hitting the last question. I want some more talk back on this one.

7 comments:

DIVA MASTER said...

James Doohan also fathered a child at the age of 80. Ben Craven, if you're reading this...KEEP TRYING.

Calling all Bill Shatner fans! If you haven't seen him in "Kingdom of the Spiders", rent it now! It's creepy, but it's funny. Bad acting at it's finest.

ReverendEddie said...

No "Beam me up, Scotty" huh?

Wasn't it something like "Scotty, beam me up?" They had to have said SOMETHING like that. "Scotty, energize." Nah, that doesn't sound right....."Get me the hell outta here you Scottish bastard!" That sounds about right. At least outta Bones's mouth.

I bet you didn't know Dakota Fanning was a Juno Beach too...61 years later, but she was there. Silver cigarette case and all.

She was going through a rough patch.

Le Synge Bleu said...

I just worked this spring with a whole company formed of neighborhood playhouse people (except yours truly, though the director totally thought i was a playhouse grad until the very end of rehearsals); they all had silver cigarette cases in case they were ever caught in crossfire. its one of the first lessons of the school.

as per the meaning of the previous topic to me - at this present moment it means that i only feel truly alive when i'm working and completely dead and lifeless when i'm not. that's my oh-so-lovely solipsistic and overly tragic interpretation du jour.

sorry, i'm a bit preoccupied with vomitting profusely at the mere thought of roberts getting in the supreme court; if that happens, there will be no celebration of life, theatre or personal. its affecting my optimism greatly at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Aye, it's a sad day for us Trekkers, Tim. If I may be permitted a geeky moment here, I especially liked Doohan's appearance in that Next Gen episode where Scotty was pulled out of the transporter buffer after about 70 years. Very poignant to see a once-vibrant and useful man pushed to the side because he was perceived to be "obsolete". And before I get too heavy, let me say that it was way cool that for that episode they recreated the old Enterprise bridge down to the last detail. Loved it.

timxx said...

Aye, lass. Ah loved it too!

"...and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a bicycle!"

Mike said...

Not to get too far off the topic, but everytime I even hear Star Trek mentioned my mind races through so many quotes, mostly from the movies, but funny/notable to me.

"Khhaaaannnn!" (with requisite facial contorting)

"Nuclear wessels."

"Beans and bourbon... an explosive combination."

"Physician, heal thyself."

"Everybody remember where we parked."

"Double dumb-ass on you!"

"Admiral, would this be an appropriate time for a colorful metaphor?" (I know, I screwed this one up.)

"Dialysis?! What is this? The Dark Ages?"

"How many fingers am I holding up?"

"Don't call me Tiny."

"You can't appreciate Shakespeare until you've read him in the original Klingon."

"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human." (Which teared me up then and still does.)

timxx said...

Here's a few more!

"Captain...life is NOT a dream!"

(In finest Bill Shatner overacting form) "I..Have HAD....enough...of YOU!!!!!"

"That green blooded sonovabitch!"

"ADMIRAL! THere be WHALES here!"

"It's all that LDS he did in the 60's"

"If anyone can think of a way we could've screwed this up more, let me know. I'll be in my quarters"

AND my 2 fave from NEXT generation films;

"Assimilate THIS!"

"Oh SHIT!" (Data, as the Enterprise is crashing)