Friday, August 29, 2008

"It was always summer and the future called"

Greetings, all! So- a rousing Democratic convention, complete with a HUGE rock show like ending! (I get the feeling that Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley were watching last night saying
" Must EVERYONE crib our stuff???") and now today, MORE big news with Sarah Palin's selection for McCain's VP. So any way you slice it, some history is gonna be made! Pretty cool times we're living in, huh?

At any rate, I've been working like a Trojan today trying to get my life caught up to where it needs to be. As I was in my office listening to some "you tube" (yes, I mainly just listen- like a big free jukebox!) I came across a few songs that gave me pause. Songs that in a sense, feel like the story of my life.

I was on a bit of a MEATLOAF jag (anyone who's known me for any length of time knows of my love for the big fella!) at first. Meatloaf is interesting, and it's no secret why I love him. He's big, bombastic, theatrical, etc...but really it's all Steinman's songs that make him what he is. Jim Steinman's songs are melodramatic (and a tad cliched from time to time)...they sort of hit you in the face like a big open wound, just daring you to look away. BUT- when he's on, the man is on. One song in particular, OBJECTS IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR hits me very close to the bone.
Yes, it's a crappy title, and it has one of the goofiest choruses in creation, but in between is an incredibly theatrical and powerful tale, and one that I relate to all to well.
Watch for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37GrbCUvZEM

It's also a damned fine little video, in a Michael Bay kinda way:)

Then, there's this gem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcLA596zUwc&feature=related

Don't ask me exactly why, but this song is the story of my life... I think sometimes you don't choose art, it chooses you. Author Nick Hornby writing about Springsteen's THUNDER ROAD said, "It's a process something like falling in love. You don't necessarily choose the best person, or the wisest, or the most beautiful; there's something else going on." He goes on in this essay to talk of how different he is from the characters in the song, and yet the connection to the piece was so strong, he still felt it was still "about him".

Now of course these songs aren't "about" Nick and me, but that's the beauty of Art. It makes us feel a little less...alone in the world. That someone out there understands us...feels us...knows our pain, our struggles, our joy. It's a pretty cool thing if you ask me.

So it that vein, hit me with some songs that tell the "story of your life". And feel free to add the youtube link, if one exists.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's another one that's always made a strong impression!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bww2prhAWEA&feature=related

Come on folks, where is ya?

DIVA MASTER said...

I'm tying down some stuff. Moving other stuff. Covering some other stuff. Getting ready for Gustav.

Anonymous said...

Batten down the hatches, bro.
Hopefully it's gonna miss ya'll this time.
Gotta say, I'm impressed with the way Naggin and co have handled things in NOLA. It looks like people actually heeded warnings, and got out this time.
My prayers are with all in the path of the storm.

DIVA MASTER said...

Yea, Naggin knew his @$$ would be grass if he didn't do right this time.

Anonymous said...

So, Jim and I were supposed to have a romantic Labor Day getaway to NOLA. Needless to say, it was a no-go. I'm just glad that the city was spared, and we'll try to go again soon. But, there's not much as un-romantic as Labor Day in Lexington.

Wish I could think of a song that told my story, but alas...maybe
"Blue" (Joni) or "Carolina on My Mind" (J.T.).

Or "Pinball Wizard." Nah, kidding about that one.

Mike said...

There are far more songs that I WISH told the story of me than that actually do. Isn't that the way? I mean, if I listed biographically accurate stuff, it would likely be country music and Conway Twitty at that. Since I am in no mood to hang myself today, I guess the next best thing is to have songs that you relate to as you live your life, however un-Hollywood it might be. So...

All Fired Up - Pat Benatar

I Want It All - Queen

Shoot to Thrill - AC/DC

Loadout/Stay - Jackson Browne(same album, eh X?)

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits(made me buy a guitar)

Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes - my son's singing "pup-py"

The End - The Beatles (long story, happy ending)

That's enough for now.

Anonymous said...

Wow! overwhelmingly you guys think Sarah was the wrong choice...

Hmmm...anyone seen the polls lately?

I'm just sayin...

Anonymous said...

Tim, a few songs that evoke my life...none of which you've probably heard...

WINDFLOWERS

DAYDREAMER

BLAME IT ON MY YOUTH

THE BALLAD OF THE SAD YOUNG MEN

Anonymous said...

1 out of 4 Chuck...that ain't too bad is it? :)