Monday, February 27, 2006

"They say there's a heaven for those who will wait..."

WOW! Talk about your famous people dying in 3's- it's been a lousy 24 hours for fans of cl;assic TV. Actors Don Knotts, Darren McGavin(X-mas Story/ The Night Stalker) and now Dennis Weaver (McLoud/ DEUL) have all passed.
I grew up on the work of these three men, and it's fair to say that part of the reason I'm in this business was the superb work they did in so many great shows and films of the 60's and 70's. No, it wasn't MASTERPIECE THEATRE , but dammit quality work is quality work! Has there BEEN a funnier sidekick than Barney Fife? Has there been a more humorus take on the "fish out of water" than Weaver's Mcloud? An has there EVER been a more bizarre, wonderfully funny perfomance than MacGavin gave in A CHRISTMAS STORY?
I think not...RIP all three of you guys...we'll not soon forget you.

5 pts for the easy reference- feel free to take up valuable bandwidth with your reactions/comments.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and too late TIm realizes he got dyslexic on the word DUEL....but you guys should be used to that by now!

Anonymous said...

I really couldn't say any of these guys were acting icons of mine or that they inspired me to go into the business.

But I always enjoyed Darren McGavin's work...particularly in The Night Stalker and he certainly gave an iconic, very funny, warm performance in A Christmas Story.

Don Knotts I remember more vividly in the "man on the street" comedy sequences on the old Steve Allen Show and as a comic supporting player on that same show along with Tom Poston and Louis Nye. Knotts was still packing 'em in at the Ray Courts' Hollywood Memorabilia Shows even as late as a year ago. Always long lines at his table.

As a devotee of The Westerns Channel, I'll miss Weaver's folksy intros to the films. Wonder who they'll get to replace 'em.

Mike said...

AMEN on The Private Eyes, Rick. I've been looking all over for that flick. I know the whole thing by heart, having seen it dozens of times as a kid. "It's a Wookalar!!"

I used Don Knotts in the new theme for SkyPieces Radio. Future trivia for y'all.

The Drama Mama said...

Awww...The Apple Dumpling Gang. I wipe a tear from my eye for good old Don....and the others.

ReverendEddie said...

Don't forget The Prize Fighter with Tim and Don. I saw a double feature of that and Private Eyes when I was little. And I held a girl's hand for the first time during a showing of the Apple Dumpling Gang on a school overnight. I owe it all to Don.

Sweet.

Oh, and thanks guys for abandoning the ship a week before the show goes up. I don't know if I should be upset about that fact or proud that you trust us to be on our own.


Heh.

Anonymous said...

HEY NOW!
We're off to SETC tomorrow morning,where I may be able to check in from time to time. Otherwise I'll see you chat w/ you all when I get back and let you know how things went.
ugs and kisses,
x

DIVA MASTER said...

I saw Don Knotts and Tim Conway at the Biloxi Grande a couple of years ago. I never thought that much clean fun could have me laughing til I cried, but it did.
They even took one of my questions!
RIP Don Knotts.
Yes, Private Eyes and the AD Gang hold fond memories.

The Nightstalker used to give me the willies and I loved it. RIP Darren McGavin.

I've never been much of a TV Western buff, but RIP Mr. Weaver.

P.S.
Darren McGavin starred alongside Don Knotts in the mid-70's comedy "No Deposit, No Return."

Anonymous said...

how about darin mcgavins turn as the one eyed bookie in "the natural"?

ReverendEddie said...

and just WHO ARE YOU?! the question of the ages..........

Anonymous said...

Wow...now Kirby Puckett and Dana Reev3e? Not a good week for celebs...

Anonymous said...

and don't forget darin mcgavin in Billy Madison.