Tuesday, September 13, 2005

"Let's get back to the cave...for a little while..."

USM DIVAS- Mr Mills has asked that you send any DIVA news my way for the time being till he gets things up and going at the cave again...any and all KATRINA reports would be greatly appreciated, particularly those of you in the burg...Hope all is well.

Our benefit is progressing nicely. Met with Rick and Jim Clark (Lexington Arts Commission) to begin some strategic planning, and things are already progressing nicely. Here's what we know thus far:

The event will take place October 11th at the DAC in Lexington (time TBA). Admission is $25 a person and donations will also be accepted in addition to this. We are planning either a pre or post (or perhaps BOTH) show reception with some Cajun fare, spirits, etc...the evenings entertainment will be provided by local actors/singers , some from specific productions, others solo or in duet...some of the confimations we have include the cast of CROWNS(AGL) , the cast of FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM (WCTAA) the cast of RED HOT AND COLE (Sayre School), Jonathon Watson, Mike Fryman, Laura St. Peter, Shayne Brakefield, Michael Thompson, and yours truly...any local reading this who want to be involved leave a comment with a contact or email me at the address in the last post.
Even if you don't want to participate., PLEASE come out and support this worthy cause. The specific charity is still being worked out, but all proceeds WILL GO to Katrina victims...

...and just to get back to a LITTLE normalcy...EIGHTEEN POINTS for the winner of this weeks lyric...title AND performer, please!

6 comments:

timxx said...

BAMMM! 18 points for rick8!!!!!AND THE LEAD!!!!!
Ok- that was so easy I'm ashamed...anyhoo...cool news. Holla tomorrow.

timxx said...

...well, I THINK it's the lead...been so long I'll hafta check.

timxx said...

Ok...does ANYONE else find this job description as comical as I do????
Theatre: Teach undergraduate courses in Improvisation; Acting I, II and III; and Theatre History I and II. Additional courses include Voice & Diction; Stage Movement, Dialects, and Make-Up; Children's Theatre & Creative Dramatics; Intro to Theatre; Arts Perspectives; Oral Interpretation; and Stage Management. Would direct one or two full-scale productions each season (should be able to direct period shows, musicals, and children's shows as well as modern shows). Would help direct and oversee the annual musical theatre cabaret performance. Would be available to work with **** Summer Theatre in the summers. Would coach students on an individual basis for auditions for professional work (GTC, SETC, UPTA, Strawhat, etc.). PhD in Theatre by July 1, 2006 required. Appointment rank is Assistant or Associate Professor.


..uhhh...maybe you'd like the applicant to do WINDOWS and pick up your dry cleaning too????...and whatdaya bet they're offering high 20's or low 30's to boot? And of course the fuckers want a phd...cause as you all know , there's LOTS of PHD's out there who specialize in IMPROV!!!!!!!!!!
...sorry, I know this is a bit callous of me to get on this soapbox in times like these, but still....

Anonymous said...

The Benefit sounds awesome and i wish I could be there to contribute ....me. And whatever u would need me to do.

But to throw out my opinion about education,,,,,,can I just say that teacher's salaries on every level are just ridiculous in this country. I struggle to understand that the highest i could EVER get paid in the public school district here is 52,000. %@#$%.
50-freakin-2!!!! And that woud be like when I AM 52! Here's the other "ever-lovin' lulu of all time," My 7 years at Sayre "don't count" down here. Nor does my 2 years at UK. Nope.....private schools and part-time University teaching don't matter. I am starting off at 1st year teacher pay.

That's why I am currently looking for alternate employment. That's why the US is going to continue to lose good teachers.

Okay, now i am off my soapbox....shoooowheeee!

timxx said...

Scott...Uhh...i can't say...but it's NOT the one you told me about...
Laurie...that is ridiculous that they don't count private school experience...and you're right. It seems like secondary and college do everything they can to keep GOOD experienced teaching professionals out of the classroom. Maybe there is a good private school in the area? Keep swinging...something good will come up.

timxx said...

Excellent Idea, D$..count me in!