Friday, October 06, 2006

"I've seen the Mona Lisa, I've heard Shakespeare read real fine..."

And on THAT note...time for a new posting!
Happy Friday to all...a few things:

- Tonight at midnight, for all you Lex folk out there, there is a premiere of a locally made film called EDISON DEATH MACHINE at the Kentucky Theatre. One of my Theatre students here at BCTC is in the film, and if you get the chance, go see it!

- Tonight, at the DAME here in Lex, one of my all time faves (and former Mr Rosanne Cash) Rodney Crowell is playing a show at 9pm. If you wanna see some great rootsy, American music, check him out. I probably won't, as concerts and 2 year olds don't generally mix...AND GLACTICA season III premieres at 9pm!!!! Hot damn tamale!

- Next Monday and Tuesday, I'll be having auditions for HOLIDAY MEMORIES by Russell Vandenbroucke (Uof L's Theatre dept. chair). GREAT little script, based on two Truman Capote short stories. Just re-read it again this morning, and damned if I idn't get teary eyed! Anyhoo- here's the o-fficial audition announcement:
Actors Guild of Lexington will be holding auditions for Truman Capote'sHoliday Memories, adapted by Russell Vandenbroucke, on Monday October 9and Tuesday October 10 (7-10 PM both evenings). Director Tim X. Davis is seeking 3 men- varying in age from 20-50's, 1 woman- 40's-60's and1woman- 20's-40's. Auditionees will be asked to read from the script. Perusal scripts are available at the AGL offices or can be emailed toyou by emailing Rick St. Peter at rstpeter@actorsguildoflexington.org For more information, contact Rick St. Peter at 859-233-7330.

You can also holla at me if'n you want some info. All of youun's what are local come on out and audition fer me! The show opens November 29.

- Next week, I'll be doing an interview for the INEXPLICABLE DUMBSHOW podcast concerning the new Theatre program I'm coordinating here at Bluegrass Community and Tech. College. I'll provide the appropriate link when said interview comes out.
- Big shout out to Mississippi Diva John E. Moore for getting some great work lately, including a two episode arch of PRISON BREAK on FOX, and a role in the new Costner/Kutcher film THE GUARDIAN. GO, Johnny Go!


AND for the topic du'jour... with the Fall movie season (i.e. Awards contenders!) in full swing, what impending film are you really jazzed about seeing and why?

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have more or less been oblivious of the fall season, though this is usually when the good stuff comes out. I should go and see THE BLACK DAHLIA as it's written by a friend of mine, Josh Friedman, who's a pretty good writer. But the reviews have not been kind. Josh has been working on this damned thing for years. He started with David Fincher as director.

Being a member of the WGA, they often start sending out DVDs to Guild voters for the WGA awards. So hopefully they send us out some good ones that I can watch right in my home.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I'm intrigued by the new Scorsese film THE DEPARTED, opening this week. Great cast (Jack, Damon, Leo, Marky Mark, Alec B., etc...) and reviews so far have been kind, with many saying that this is Marty doing what he does best and NOT just making an obvious play for OSCAR (see his last couple o' films)
Color me easy to impress, but I'm all 'bout it. Course, much like Chuck,I'll probably catch it and most like it on DVD.
And, okay so I'm a sucker, I can't wait to see...are you ready...ROCKY BALBOA (aka Rocky 22, or whatever it is by now...) I know, I know, they've been increasingly crappy with each new entry, and that 5th one is a downright abomination...but dammit, put Sly in the ring, give him an obstacle to overcome, and slap the ROCKY title on the banner, and I'm there! I guess it's just hardwired in me now...
I do, believe, that some of the best stuff lately is on TV. Old faves (LOST, Galactica, 24, Boston Legal) still going strong, and for the first time in a LONG time, a REALLY nice looking slate of fall shows (SO far, I'm digging HEROES, and STUDIO 60- Jerrico is a great premise that's lacking just a little something- and though I've yet to watch the 1st episode I taped the other night, I hear great things about Peter Berg's FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS- which btw-I LOVED that film! If the show can capture even a little of that...)

Anonymous said...

$,
I figured you'd be all about FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS , as your brother Ryan is in it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Tim, just so you know, that last anon. post had absolutly nothing to do with me. riffs rule

timxx said...

Gotch, bud!
It was a bit tacky so I deleted it anyhoo...

DIVA MASTER said...

The Departed.
and
Saw III. I know, I know....

Anonymous said...

I did think of a couple of films I'd like to see.


THE QUEEN, with the brilliant Helen Mirren.

and:

VENUS, with one of my favourite actors of all time, Peter O'Toole. The say that this could get him his eighth Oscar nomination.

I also want to see the film version of the hit play, THE HISTORY BOYS, but I don't know if this is a fall film or not.

timxx said...

$, I'm noticing a pattern here!

Mike said...

We saw The Departed a couple of nights ago in Charleston, SC. Freakin' Awesome!! We had been zipping around the islands listening to a really cool radio station down there when we heard this jock say he had seen the movie and it was "part Usual Suspects, part Reservoir Dogs". We went that very night. Really good. Really.