Monday, September 25, 2006

"If I give my love to you, you'll surely give it back"

Well, it's been one helluva weekend!
Friday evening it started raining,and raining...and it KEPT on raining. Between one and 3 am it's estimated that about 8 ins. of rain fell in the Lexington area. And guess where most of it seemed to wind up? In the BASEMENT OF MY NEW HOUSE! And...since we've only been there for a few weeks, guess where most of our unpacked boxes with most of our stuff were? You guessed it!!! THE BASEMENT! Needless to say we lost alot of stuff. Some junk, some replaceable, some downright priceless...it's really a pisser to have to throw a good chunk of your life into garbage bags and hoist it out the back door like so much trash. I , unfortunately, had to do the same thing two years back when I moved my ailing mother out of her house and into a small apartment. Loads of my childhood memories went into the garbage dump cause I didn't have the time, space or energy to save it. Except for two very small, very carefully selected memory boxes which I kept and brought home to Kentucky...anyone wanna guess where those boxes were stored last friday at 3am?
Actually, alot of stuff did survive, and thank God we are all safe (as opposed to the poor 8 souls who lost their lives needlessly in this flooding.) But we do not yet know the extent of the damage to the drywall and structure of the home. And it looks like our insurance company (won't say the name) may not be giving us their "good hands" to help out with this mess. We are pursuing other options, though. The city, sewer and water, etc... and since this mess may be considered of the "disaster" variety (as an example, our entire street had pretty much the same damage we did) we may luck out on the insurance thing. But with all the chaos we've been going through with the move, new job and general disorder of raising an almost two year old, we just damn well didn't need this...

Anyhoo...pity party over and back to work. Hope you lex- folk are all unharmed from the storm, and that you're enjoying a few days of dry, beautiful, fall-like weather. A big storm like this really makes you appreciate such things. And it also makes me REALLY feel lucky that my wife and I left the Gulf Coast for Kentucky those 5 years back. If not, I'd probably be worried about a hell of alot more than a soggy basement. BTW- even if you ain't a Football fan (and why SHOULDN'T you be???) watch the Monday night game on ESPN tonight to see the Saints first home game in the Super Dome since the destruction of Katrina. I can't wait to see it. All the enery and life just pulsating through the stadium. The resilience of those folks is very inspiring to me. And yes, it's just a damn game, but it's more than that in this instance. It's a dying city standing up and saying that they will NOT go quietly...that even in the toughest of circumstances you can still celebrate life and the incredible spirit that still prevails in this country. Someone mentioned to me in conversation the other day how they should tear the dome down because of the images of Katrina and how people died there in that storm, but as Mike Greengerg said on ESPN," Think of how many people LIVED and survived because the dome was there." Makes one think...

And as I close, Eric Clapton's LET IT RAIN comes onto my radio station...oh Ironos, goddess of Irony...you STILL slay me with your wit!

Peace and Love,
X

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest X's I am so sorry!

I have the tools and know how if you need either!

I have this box, that I just moved again. This box is taped but good.I have been moving this box for almost 10 years now without opening it. I THINK I know whats in it, but not to sure. So this move I heaved this box into the attic, yet again. Didnt open it, yet again.

Gosh I hope a cat isnt in there.

-russell

Anonymous said...

Well, Russell, your name's not Schroedinger, so I think you're OK :-)

X & Joy, if there's anything else we can do to help, just let us know!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, guys. ANd Nat, thanks a unch to you and hubby for helping us last night. WE really appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Sorry it's been SOOOOO wet and dangerous up there.
We can't have basements here in SSSSW FL or a 2nd story for the most part. Too much flooding and wind. SO somehow, the weather from down here...went up there. Curses to the weather!! Also god bless those that were lost...and the memories stored in all the basements in Lex. I still miss it, rain or no rain. Glad everyone is safe. Stay dry or dry out as the case may be. Love to u all.

The Drama Mama said...

We are so sorry to hear about this. We are happy you and yours are safe, though!

Anonymous said...

COuld it mean that we're both in turmoil over the suck-ass way our favorite team is playing?
But- HOW BOUT DEM SAINTS!!!!!
MAN, it did my heart good to see them crush the Falcons. What a great night for that team and for the city of New Orleans...

ReverendEddie said...

Hey! We're flooded basement buddies! 75 record sleeves soggy and basically ruined. 75 is a lot. At least the wax seems to be fine. But like you say, at least we are safe.
Come see Copenhagen! Allz of ya.

Anonymous said...

X, sorry to hear about the flood. I've heard so many stories like this over the years, I just don't store anything of real value on the floor of my cellar anymore. I know it's tough when you first move and have no other choice.

Been in email contact with our own Rick St. Peter this week. Seems he's having a ball over in Blighty and seeing some good theatre, I'm sure he will fill us all in on Monday.