Monday, October 03, 2005

"Life can take the strongest man, make him feel so alone"

Ahoy hoy! Hope everyone is off to a flying start on the work week! Thanks to some good friends who chipped in to help a brother out (me!) I am feeling almost caught up! Let me explain...
A lot of talk has ben circulating on Bo's YAHOO board ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LexingtonTheatre/ )regarding how fractured the Lex Theatre scene is and how cliquish we all are, etc, etc...Well, I'm here to tell you that that ain't exactly so! This weekend, I really needed to get some work done on my set for PIECE OF MY HEART (running Oct 20-22 at KSU- SHAMELESS PLUG!) and I had very little (i.e. NO) funds to pay anyone to come help. That's when cast member, and Lex theatre queen, Ms Kim Dixon said "I'll call Russell...he'll come help" Well, that's cool, I thought, but Hell I've only even seen Russell about twice since Logan was born, why would he wanna give up a saturday to come help me out? Well, guess what? 9 am that morning , there were Kim and Russell, tools in hand, waiting to go, and within six hours, my entire set was about 85% complete...just goes to show you that maybe things ain';t as "cliqu-ey" as maybe some think...Russell and I have alwyas gotton on fine, we've had a good working relationship, but we ain't exactly best drinking buddies, and yet there he was helping me out for little more than lunch and a pat on the back. Why? Couse he believes in the idea that , as a Theatre community, it's what we SHOULD do! And he walks it like he talks it, which ain't always the case for everyone in this burg of ours...
I've been fortunate at KSU- I am, LITERALLY, a one man show at that school. I do it all...BUT without the help of alot of volunteers, some I've managed to eek a little money to, some not, I've managed to start a very healthy little program. Lord knows Mike Tuttle has come to my aid more times than 1, as has Lito, Big Country, Rick8 and StevenK, Sparky Carrera, Kristen Thompson, and Jeff Day, just to name a few...I still have a shit - load of work to wade through on an hourly basis, BUT MAN, have those folks made life easier for me....I try to "pay it forward" whenever I can (not nearly as much as I should) and will continue to do so. Why? Cause it's what I SHOULD do...I'm a Lexington Theatre Artist...there, I said it! And I owe it to my art, my community, and my fellow artists to help any way I can. And you know what? It feels good to help...damn good...so here's a toast to Russell and Kim, and ALL the folks who have given a hand at Kstate...CHEERS!!!! And to those who say that Lex is all fractured and we only care about our little group?? Piss on that....
Thoughts? Comments? Bring em on...
8 points for the song...there's a hint in one of D$'s last posts...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike will probably drag me along to help, so count me in, too, when he's there. :)

I am a full believer in helping eachother to promote our art. Community, professional, whatever. I think most of us have the same goal.

Anonymous said...

You know what? I usually help people when they ask; I've auditioned or designed at most of the theatres in town at one time or another; and I like fucking everybody! Oh, wait. Bad syntax. I mean I fucking like everybody. Those discussions on the "other" blog sight just made me heartsick and vomitoceous. Oh, wait. Made up word. Vomitable? Vomilicious? Vomable? It's all so Guffman. Why can't we all just get along? Even if we don't like each other...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've found most folks when axed will help you out is some fashion. I'm certainly not trying to point fingers, just giving props to those that HAVE helped out...and it's a long list.
Dramamama, I'd love the help and it will be greatly appreciated. Mikey has done aplenty for the KSU Theatre family...
And Scotty, YOU GOT IT !!!SOULSHINE is one of my FAV Allman's tunes...great little number written by Warren Haynes. Check it out on either they're BACK WHERE IT ALL BEGAN CD, or Haynes acoustic version on his LIVE FROM BONAROO CD...

Anonymous said...

CRIPES I can't type worth a flip...I meant THEIR instead of THEY'RE...oh well, it's late and I have a 9 month old...so there!
BTW- Support Joss Whedon- go see SERENITY....I hear it rox...I may get to see it one day myself!