Wednesday, August 16, 2006

RIP Bruno Kirby

This is sad...I had no idea he was even ill...
© AP
Bruno Kirby'City Slickers' Actor Bruno Kirby DiesAug 16, 6:39 AM EST
The Associated Press
Bruno Kirby, a veteran character actor known for playing the best friend in two of Billy Crystal 's biggest comedies, "When Harry Met Sally" and "City Slickers," has died. He was 57.
Kirby died Monday in Los Angeles from complications related to leukemia, his wife Lynn Sellers said in a statement Tuesday. He had been recently diagnosed with the disease.
"We are incredibly grateful for the outpouring of support we have received from Bruno's fans and colleagues who have admired and respected his work over the past 30 years," his wife said. "Bruno's spirit will continue to live on not only in his rich body of film and television work but also through the lives of individuals he has touched throughout his life."
Born Bruno Giovanni Quidaciolu in 1949 in New York City, he was the son of actor Bruce Kirby. His early work included the 1971 film "Young Graduates," as well as appearances on the television show "Room 222" and the made-for-TV movie "The Summer Without Boys."
In 1974, he scored a role in "The Godfather: Part II," which won several Academy Awards, including best picture. In the film, Kirby played young "Pete Clemenza," following Richard S. Castellano's role in the first installment.
Over the next few years, Kirby made various TV appearances, including "Fame" and "Hill Street Blues," before landing the role of "2nd Lt. Steven Hauk" in Robin Williams' "Good Morning, Vietnam."
That was followed two years later by the romantic comedy "When Harry Met Sally," in which Kirby played Crystal's best friend. In 1991, Kirby once again appeared as Crystal's cheery friend in "City Slickers," — along for a mid-life adventure driving cattle on a dude ranch.
He also appeared in 1997's "Donnie Brasco," and recently in an episode of the HBO hit series "Entourage."
Along with his wife and father, Kirby is survived by his stepmother Roz Kirby, brother John Kirby and stepbrother Brad Sullivan.
No information on funeral arrangements was immediately available.

Another passing of a wonderful character actor. RIP, Bruno...

15 comments:

ReverendEddie said...

Man, I didn't see that coming. I loved his part in The Freshman. And he could grow one hell of a mustache.

Yes, these are my own breasts.

Anonymous said...

How terribly inappropriate, and yet hysterically funny...that's my Adam!

Anonymous said...

You hide them well, Adam...does the exposure to sunlight cause them to burst out in full glory? 'Cause I had no idea you were packing that kind of heat!

bob

ReverendEddie said...

Laugh to keep from cryin'. Actually, I just got them. Anything to get that part.

Anonymous said...

Hasn't worked for me, and mine are spectacular--and real.

Liked the Bruno's work very much. Anybody who can pretend that he's in love with (the older)Carrie Fisher is one heck of an actor.

Anonymous said...

All he had to do was picture that gold bikini, am I right gents?

Anonymous said...

he put the badass in the godfather

Anonymous said...

Off topic.....
Ok boys and girls and wombats.... (OK not really wombats.)

Marcus and I have a NEW pad!!! Its about the same size of the house we are living in now. It has a real plus... a basement! I can set up my tools and have a small shop!!! I am so excited. We can paint and the yard is a clean slate for me to landscape. (How I love to play "Mowdelawn"!)

I will send pics soon!

We will be moving over the next couple of weeks. The real push will be Friday and Saturday September 1st and 2nd. If you can come by with some muscles or a truck, or both... please let me know. (You never realize how much crap you have till you have to move it!)

Come and take a stoll down....

339 Memory Ln
Lexington, KY 40502

Here is the google map link do you can find us

http://maps.google.com/?q=loc%3A+339+Memory+Ln+at+Aurora+Ave+LEXINGTON+KY+US


Hey, its all good. Really.

-Russell!

Anonymous said...

Great. You realize that's when WE'RE moving too? Popular weekend, eh?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but yous guys done gots ya some professsional mooovers. We gots ol Bessy an she aint well these days

-russell

DIVA MASTER said...

Another fave gone.

Anonymous said...

I loved Bruno in "Where the Buffalo Roam," with Bill Murray as Hunter S. and Peter Boyle as Gonzo. Still one of my all time favorite movies. Murray's Thompson is thoroughly enjoyable, Boyle is awesome, and Bruno played Thompson's boss at the magazine he was working for. That movie is a much more realistic portrayal and less hollywood than Fear & Loathing, though I think both are quality in their own way.

Bruno was solid in every performance I can remember. Brasco, Harry Met Sally, Slickers (which is a very well all around family movie), and Vietnam.

Adam, your jugs are 'uge.

X./Russell, I'm out of town the weekend you're moving (convenient, huh?), but I may be back on the 2nd to help. Won't know for sure till early next week.

Everyone, come to The Dame on the 28th for Laugh Your Ass Off Monday!

-JB

ReverendEddie said...

True, Josh. Where the Buffalo Roam is a great one. Excellent performances from everyone in it. I had forgotten that he was in that.

JB, I rehearse until about 9:30. When do you think you'll be going on?

Anonymous said...

I'll go up around 10. If you can't make it, no biggie (I'll despise you forever). If you can, awesome (I'll bake you a pie).

-JB

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »