Sunday, March 04, 2007

"But I got to missin' your Mama..."


Well, SETC is almost here and I can't friggin' wait! I'll be doing a workshop (Outdoor Drama Survival Skills) with DIVA Darren Van Halen and Rick8 of AGL fame, doing my thing with the auditions committee and the Leighton Belew scholarship, going to a shit-ton of meetings and workshops, and trying to save a few moments to see some of the people I get to see once a year. I also may have a drink...or 20!
These past two weeks have seen me reach heretofore unattained levels of stress and I truly need a bit of a break. But I'll do what I always do at SETC- I'll work- I'll network-I'll help out my students (or in this case any former students, as none of my current ones are going this year. New program, and all...) -I'll try to learn something I can take back to the classroom, and I'll fret and kvetch the whole way about money. And while being away from the office will definitely be good for my state of mind...being away from the wife and kid, that'll be good for about 8 hours, then I'll start missing them both something fierce, and call home 6 times a day to make sure he and the missus are both OK. Then I'll start stressing about work again...
That's just who I am, though, and I guess that's who I'll always be. I always seem to want "a break" till I get it...then I don't know what to do with myself. I've had to work so hard and for so long, that I just don't really remember how to decompress...I think I might need to work on that at some point. Until then, I guess I'll just hope for a good, productive trip...and a few close, well stocked, Atlanta bars.
BTW- the image is an SETC image from their site... the backside belongs to one Teza Garland, a great, talented gal, and a former BOONEie by association...
Enough of my griping. What I wanna know is this- tell me about the best time you ever had at a "Theatre conference" (be it SETC, ACTF, URTA, UPTA, USITT, TCG, or any other letters...or hell, even if it was a state HS festival from your youth. My big brothers can tell some WHOPPERS about those trips...) The definition of "best" is up to you.
LET 'ER RIP!!!

10 comments:

ReverendEddie said...

Hanging out in the warm up rooms, making up extremely stupid and pointless "acting exercises" and then watching others eventually try the same ones on their own, making absolute asses out of themselves.
Like lemmings to the muthafuggin' cliff.

Anonymous said...

Techie Olympics????

Anonymous said...

Tim,

John and I are going to be recording down in Hotlanta! E-mail me and let's set up a time to have a bit more interview time live and in-person!!!

Tee

DIVA MASTER said...

ACTF in Murfreesboro, TN. I thought I might actually die druing that stay. And Darren Van Michaels kept calling me "The Friar". Whatever the hell that meant. Good Times!

Lazymom said...

yeah...have a drink for me too.

I will be flying high on my sugar rush from gorging myself on girl scout cookies.

Mike said...

No sound design category at the techie olympics? Something like...

Find a royalty-free score pad for a fight scene. Clock that scene and edit the pad, putting in appropriate cymbal crashes and orchestra hits timed to punches and dropkicks in the fight choreography. Burn to CD and present to Director. Run the score with the live fight and go back to square two thrice to accomodate combat choreographers last-minute changes. Burn final result, make design plot notes, walk though with board op. Then, mount three stage mics in such proximity as to allow audience to hear gurgling sound actor makes when strangled at end of fight scene. (additional note: Music must trail off gently as the deceased's spirit leaves him and the victor's impassioned monologue begins.)

You have 20 minutes. Go!

Anonymous said...

Hate to hear this:

Brad Delp, vocalist for the band Boston was found dead today in his home in New Hampshire. Police responded to a call for help at 1:20 pm and found Delp dead. Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was "untimely" and that there was no indication of foul play. Delp apparently was alone at the time, Baldwin said.

The cause of his death remained under investigation. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday. Boston's official website has been cleared of all content expect for the following sentance: "We've just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll. "

Bummer. I loved the first three Boston albums. I think Brad Delp had one of the finest voices in Rock and Roll. A true master of the craft... and WAY too young to go!

Mike Tuttle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Tuttle said...

Delp was engaged and Boston was recording and planning a summer tour. Pisser of a thing for any man to die alone.

Anonymous said...

Re : Brad Delp's death

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=188494

I was afraid this was the case. I had heard rumblings of this on a classic rock site that I frequent...too bad. Seemed that the guy had alot to live for. Just goes to show that you never really know what's going on inside a person.